Thursday, March 21, 2019

Ideal plan for shot types


Music Video Planning


I have planned for my music video to have a very loose narrative because I want the focus to be on the colour/appearance of shots rather than the subject as I feel this follows the style of Psychedelic Rock videos as they often don't even have an official video produced for the songs, perhaps because the focus is more on the lyrics themselves and the sound produced which allows the audience to create their own imaginary narrative therefore making it more of a personal and subjective experience. I also like this idea because it allows me to be more creative with the shots I want to incorporate which will produce an experimental feel to the video which was favoured in my questionnaire amongst a majority of audiences. 

Narrative: The subject is dissatisfied with life and unhappy, perhaps looking for "a man to love" which will be shown through more dull/simple shots when we see them on their own walking in big open spaces with little to no people around. This will contrast with  the rest of the video which will be a POV of the subject after they take an ecstasy pill. We then see the world through their eyes with the influence of ecstasy; everything is colourful, lights are brighter and different in appearance and some images are distorted or sped up. This will also be shown through the contrast in day and night shots which indicates a loss of time. 

I also plan for the music video to be quite jagged in appearance, jumping from shot to shot and some shots not matching the ones previous to emphasise the use of drugs and how it distorts your perception of reality and time. The inclusion of ecstasy is influenced again by the style of Psychedelics which was very popular in the late 60's and 70's when Janis Joplin and Big Brother & The Holding Company released the song I Need a Man to Love. 

This colourful/experimental appearance is also loosely influenced on the films of Gaspar Noé as he often discusses how the use of drugs helped him to shoot his films and his own personal experiences with hallucinations. For instance the shots below are an example of how I would like my music video to appear to follow the Psychedelic aesthetic. 

Enter the Void - Gaspar Noé



























No comments:

Post a Comment