Thursday, February 28, 2019

Location


Location Recce

Places I plan to film:
  • Bristol - street art shots
  • Road near Corley services - birds eye shots of cars on motorway at night  
  • Coronation walk and fields in Weddington - tracking shots of subject 
  • Studio at King Edward VI College 
  • My house for experimental lighting shots
  • Foleshill Rosd Coventry - neon signs on busy road at night

Bristol

I am going to Bristol from the 2nd - 3rd of March where I plan to shoot the natural lighting shots for my music video as there are a lot of interesting places that I can go to. For instance I quite like the idea of combining images of art with the visuals that I create in the studio of the character and I can also play around with layering the images to create more experimental visuals. This is also something that I have taken inspiration from the music video  Cedar Lane by First Aid Kit where layering is used to create a more dreamy/uplifting visual with fits well with the Psychedelic appearance that I am aiming to achieve. 





Street art/Graffiti is also hugely popular in Bristol and I plan to visit multiple sights where they are positioned as I think this will add a creative and colourful element to the visuals of my music video.  




Positives 
1. Lots of choice of places to film
2. Adds to narrative
3. Places to shelter nearby if it rains due to city centre location

Negatives
1. Might be unable to shoot in galleries 
2. Open to public - disrupts filming 
3. Time constraints 

Bridge over motorway by Corley Services:

I plan to film a time lapse of the cars on the motorway from the bridge as I think this will emphasise a sense of escapism and also an altered perception of time as although this will be a POV of the subject it will be sped up to suggest gaps in time. 

When I filmed this shot the weather was bad and it was raining heavily and I had the idea to take advantage of the rain drops on the car window and try shooting from the inside of the car. The overall result turned out better than I expected because it makes the shot more visually interesting and is relevant to the narrative as it causes the image to appear out of focus which fits well with the fact that the subject has taken an E and is no longer seeing an accurate sense of reality.

Positives
1. Bridge will be quieter at night
2. Can take shelter in car if weather gets bad 
3. Adds to narrative

Negatives
1. Lack of light, harder to see at night so filming may not be as good quality and there is no light source on the bridge 
2. Open to public - other cars on bridge may disrupt filming 
3. Have to rely on someone to take me there 

Coronation walk - Weddington

I wanted to film some shots of the subject walking and I thought coronation walk would be ideal because it is a big open space and is near to my subject's home so it is easily accessible for us both which is useful on days where there is a restricted time for filming.

Positives
1. Big open space 
2. Easy to access 
3. Familiar setting for subject so they may feel more comfortable filming there
4. Short walk from subject's home in case of bad weather

Negatives:
1. Open to public 
2. Uninteresting location 

Studio at King Edward VI College

I plan to use the studio to film the projections on my subject to add something visually interesting to video.

Positives
1. Good environment to work in with lighting equipment available to use. 
2. Can ask for help from peers if needed 
3. Inside so a weather check isn't necessary 

Negatives
1. Can only book for a certain amount of time 
2. Harder for my subject to travel to 
3. May be difficult to achieve with time constraints 

My home

This is an ideal filming location because it is a space that I am the most comfortable in and I may have more time to film because there isn't a time limit on how long we can be there. Subject may also feel more comfortable because it is a familiar location for them. I want to shoot the experimental lighting shots in my bedroom because I can have more control over the lighting. 

Positives:
1. Familiar and comfortable place to film
2. Don't have to consider the weather before filming
3. More time to shoot 

Negatives: 
1. Have to be respectful of other people in the home when filming  

Foleshill Road - Coventry

This area was suggested by a participant that took part in  my focus group and it wasn't somewhere that I had originally planned to film. However, there were a lot of neon signs on this street therefore I was able to film a number of shots that I aim to use in my final music video. 





Positives
1. Has lots of neon signs I can film 
2. Adds to narrative 

Negatives 
1. Outside location would require a weather check
2. Public location which can be busy 
3. Requires a car to get there 

No comments:

Post a Comment