Thursday, February 28, 2019

Questionnaire


Questionnaire

I decided to produce an open, 10 question, questionnaire on SurveyMonkey to help me get more of an idea of what is popular with a range of audiences rather than just sharing it with the people I know. This way I can compare the results to the ideas that I already have for the appearance of my music video and come to a decision about what will work best. I have also planned to conduct a Focus Group  to ensure I have also have some qualitative data to reflect on because the questions on the questionnaire are much more vague and don't allow a more in depth response which will be most useful in voicing the opinions of my audience. 

In the Focus Group I will present my ideas so far in terms of location, genre, visuals etc and start a discussion about which ideas work well and others that may need some work. Also by conducting a Focus Group I may obtain some ideas that I would't have come up with myself which will may alter my initial plan. 

Find the results here - 
https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/survey-taken/?sm=6922l4v1MzF6SPdO6SWSB_2FaDs4WUyMqIek3P2Nneob34jDueJo3Da3YORNId4eGJGbcB5pfGvTbau7eCb4J_2Fr9qZXImura2hrLqxD23YW58_3D



Looking at my questionnaire, it is clear that the Indie/Alternative Rock music genre is predominantly more popular with audiences although Psychedelic Rock is only slightly behind. Experimental was also voted most popular which I believe fits more with the Psychedelic Rock genre because it is often more experimental with visuals and this is something I aim to achieve with my music video. I will be using a combination of natural, low key and experimental lighting to achieve my preferred aesthetic. 

Another conclusion I draw from my questionnaire is that audiences favour both the narrative and experimental music video genre with around 44% voting for narrative and 55% voting for experimental.I think this result is quite interesting as I thought that there would be more of a distinct division between responses and this just wasn't the case. I am also surprised that no-one voted for location because I thought audiences would consider this as an important aspect for a music video. This is reinforced by a later question which specifically asks how important location is for a music video with 77% of participants stating that it was only 'somewhat important'. This result made me reconsider my initial plans for location as I was planning to film in multiple locations in Birmingham such as Ghetto Golf because I thought it would be more aesthetically pleasing for the video however, with time constraints and a small budget I decided that this wasn't necessary and I changed my initial plan to be able to recreate something similar but closer to home instead. 

A weakness of my questionnaire is the fact that some of the questions are not always completely relevant for my research such as asking the participant's gender. Upon review I realised that this wasn't a necessary question to ask as I stated that my target audience were 18-25 year olds and made no assumptions about the gender of the audience. Although, if this was a variable that I wanted to control then I could have specified this at an earlier stage and tried to ensure that I had a fair response from both male and female audiences to make my data more valid. 

Similarly, I feel as though I should have controlled the age variable by only allowing participants within my target audience (18-25) to take part in the questionnaire because any other data I collected from participants that are out of this target is not valid  because I don't need to know what their preferred response is. This may have had an effect on the reliability of my data because I cannot be sure which answers a specific age group are drawn towards as this is out of my control therefore, the conclusions I draw from my questionnaire cannot be totally reliable. This will be important to reflect on before conducting my focus group to ensure that I won't replicate the same mistakes and instead ensure that all participants are within the age range that is specific to my target audience for the music video. This will produce the most valid form of data as I can be sure that all responses will be relevant to the research I conduct. 

Overall, I think producing a questionnaire was a relatively useful means of qualitative data as I was able to open it up to a wider audience which gave produced a more valid result in terms of gaining responses from people outside of my friendship group. However, I do not believe that all the questions were particularly relevant to my research and therefore this had a significant effect on the reliability of my results because I need to conduct a focus group to try and maintain the validity of data collected. 

No comments:

Post a Comment